Thursday, July 18, 2013

Costa Rica: The Re-Cap

If you've read this blog for any length of time you probably already know we are crazy and like to do everything the most challenging way possible.  You know, like traveling with pre-schoolers.  

Our trip to Costa Rica was a mixed bag, but the blessings of our journey came out on top. 

* The Caires!  These people are so great and in all likely hood we will not see them again for many, many moons.  Gracious, funny, wonderful parents to model ourselves after, hungry for God, good listeners, easy conversationalists, prayer focused and minded, it is easy to see why they come up aces as friends. 

It was such a blessing to us to hear about the ways God has used their experiences in Costa Rica to prepare them for life in Peru in just a few short months.  We loved getting to sample a tiny bit of their daily life and seeing how God has used the time there to strengthen their family.  Very encouraging, I must say.   

* The scenery!  Oh people, we saw things.  I'm afraid my memory is fleeting, but I would love to be able to close my eyes and picture the beach surrounded by the jungle for the rest of my life.  Jon and I went to a different part of CR close to five years ago, and it had the same affect on me.  A beautiful part of God's creation, that is for sure.  We also got to see an amazing waterfall, and all sorts of native animals.  The sloths were plentiful and by far my favorite.  

* Tico food is amazing!  I would gladly eat at our hotel's continental breakfast all the days of my life.  Muy delicioso!

* We got to see one of Bear's oldest friends!  That was pretty much like winning the lottery. 

* Bear was so flexible, which felt like such a blessing in our large group.  His ability to take naps on the go during van rides or on a hike did not go unnoticed by this mom. 

Conversely, lack of routine and little down time made for the challenging side of our trip with Superman.  We arrived late, got tired, and stayed grumpy.  Jon and I also did a terrible job of trying to incorporate activities to satisfy Superman's sensory processing needs.  On day 2 or 3 we arrived at the beach, and that was really the best thing for him.  Digging in the sand, burying his legs, letting the tides rock him, wearing Sarah's tight floaties, and having free time to just play all seemed to meet his exact needs.  We also tucked the boys into bed that night around 6:20, which I'm sure played a role in getting us back on track.  

During bouts of four-year old surly-ness and disobedience I felt exasperated and frustrated, but now that I'm home and looking back on the experience, I feel grateful more than anything else.  

Let me try to explain... 

In the few days that we have been home (even on the last day of travel) Superman has been a champ.  Kind, good attitude, sweet words, obedient.  An encouragement to me and our family.  Once home and back in his routine he is one happy camper.  I think this paints a picture for me of the huge progress we have made as a family.  I can remember the days close to two years ago where it was all surly-ness and disobedience, with a sensory system way out of whack, and it wouldn't have mattered if we were on vacation or in our home.  God has been so gracious to us in the changes our family has seen in the past, and I can only assume will continue to see in the future. 

At first glance, I feel like the take away lesson would be Superman can't handle travel.  Wait until he is 12 to try again.  
After more reflection, I feel like the lesson is that Superman has overcome so much and grown tremendously in so many ways.  Give him time and the sweet boy he is at home will grow until it encompasses harder areas of life.  And I'll stick with that lesson.  I like it better.  

Okay, let's wind this up, shall we?  I was planning on posting all sorts of cool pictures and even going for jog, but my blogging fingers had other ideas.   

Caires, we loved our time in Costa Rica!  I think it's safe to say we would even try to come see you again!         

No comments:

Post a Comment