Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Oliver

Ollie is so entertaining.  He is amusing and comical and lively and it is priceless.  I love meeting Jon's eyes over Ollie's head.  I love sharing that private parent moment where we can enjoy his latest antics.

He wants to help (demands to help) fold socks.  He has no interest in learning how to correctly pair them, he just wants to be in charge of lining all the socks up in a long row and then folding all of them over clam shell style, irregardless of where it's match may be.  It's so hard not to laugh out loud at his pride while he makes comments the entire time like, "Yep, I'm shuw getting big.  I can fold these socks so good all by myself."

Then Jon goes to his sock drawer and it looks like someone just dumped out the socks straight from the laundry basket into the drawer (for he is also "so good" at putting laundry away) but Jon looks at me and smiles knowing full well that Ollie spent a good 30 minutes on folding and putting away all the socks.

Sometime last week Jon and I were laying in bed watching Pysch or Castle or some such.  Long after we have tucked Ollie in, we can hear him laughing as he runs through the living room to come see us.  He is laughing so hard he can hardly get out, "Hey guys!  Hey guys, I've got somefin to tell you.  I had a fuzzy in my hair.  And then I ate it!  I ate the fuzzy in my hair!"  At this point he is literally doubled over, hands on knees, so as not to fall down because he is laughing so hard.  The information is undoubtedly odd, but the delivery style is spot on, so of course it is a riot and Jon and I are wiping tears from our eyes.        

Ollie really does have us all wrapped around his finger, but we still try really hard to discipline his three year old ways, otherwise he would get away with murder.  Today I took him to Barnes and Noble, for we love books and escalators.  I told him before going in that we were not going to get anything from the in-store Starbucks (we've been known to get those giant cookies) but we were just going to look at books.  We head on upstairs to the kids area and he is so excited to see a Spiderman book, which is one of his three personas.  (The other two being Baylor and Jackie Boy- that's a whole other blog post...) We sit down and read the book, and it's quite long.  I am impressed by his attention span and surprised that we get through the entire book.  The second I'm finished though, he says, "I'm hungry".

I knew it was coming, but it doesn't make it any prettier.  I gently remind him that we are here today to look at books and ride the escalator, and besides, we just ate a snack before coming.  He immediately bursts into tears and is screaming (no exaggeration) that's he's HUNGRY!! I take him into the bathroom and tell him that we will not buy a snack from Starbucks and that he needs to take a deep breath.  He does calm down a little bit, but you can tell the battle is far from over.  We head back down the escalator, go past the Starbucks to get to the door and he is screaming again. 

We leave. 

He can't believe we have to leave. 

I tell him that we can't stay and do fun things, like read a book if he's throwing a fit.  This only escalates the fit throwing.  At this point he is screaming, like all good three year olds do, "I WANT BARNES AND NOBLES!" over and over again. Also at this point my gentle reminders are not so gentle anymore.  I'm holding him in my arms and tell him sternly that he can't yell about Barnes and Noble again unless he wants a spanking.  A silent 30 seconds passes; he hugs me, puts his head down, and whispers, "barnes and nobles" in the tiniest mouse voice.  And I throw my head back and laugh.  I swear, I really do know better, and I really do try, but he's just plain funny.  Even when he's not trying to be. 

 Fits and all, it really is a treasure to have someone so merry in our lives.




 

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. You capture him so well; I'm in love with little Ollie myself.

    ReplyDelete