Sunday, June 14, 2015

Rocks for Sale!

Do you ever have parenting deja vu?  To me this is a really strong memory that springs from your own childhood when you see your kids figure something out.  Certainly the memory never would have been recollected, had you not seen your kid just experience something?  So it's less like deja vu, and more like deja-oh-yeah-I-remember-doing-the-exact-same-thing. 

The first time this phenomena happened to me was when I watching Seth mess around with nail clippers when he around 3.  He was trying to figure out how to open and close that lever (or LEE-ver, for I am getting ready to be close to Canada in a week, eh?) and I had such a strong flashback of me as a kid messing around with nail clippers, likely at a similar age.

Anyway, that happened again this last week.  DD and Tatiana were with us again for the week and DD wanted to paint rocks.  Then Seth had the idea that they should set up a stand and sell the rocks.  This brought me back to my kindergarten years when myself and Allison Gray where sitting in our front yard at our yellow house in Bozeman and decided that we could make the most beautiful pencil shaving flowers and that we would sell them.   Trust me, they were a thing to behold. Who wouldn't want beautiful pencil shaving flowers?  Turns out, no one.  No one wants to pay for pencil shaving flowers. 

After each kid got 10 or 15 rocks painted, made signs, and set up their shop on the driveway, I went and stood out there with them as rock stand manager. 
  

 
I figure this is going to be a win/win for me.  The kids have a good idea, have executed it well, and are gun-ho busy for an afternoon.  I also figure a lesson will be learned that something needs to have value and you can't sell just any old thing. 
 
Well. 
 
Wrong I am.  We are not out there three minutes before their first customer pulls into the driveway and picks out DD's very best blue with pink polka dots rock.  I tell him how much we appreciate him, and make jokes about how he may be our only customer all day. 
 
Well. 
 
In about 30 or 40 minutes we have over ten people stop.  People are kind and generous. 
 
Then we get hot, bitten by mosquitoes, and only have dime-sized red rocks left, so we head in.  A fun day for sure.  
Not 100% sure, but I'm guessing people are more drawn to these darling faces than the actual merchandise.  ;)
 

1 comment: