Friday, May 24, 2013

Down a Rabbit Hole

Let's keep it light tonight, shall we?  I couldn't agree more.

When I was younger I loved to play a game under the covers in my bed where I would pretend to be a bunny.  I would make a cave-like dwelling with my blanket stretched over my back and would try to hop around foraging for food.  I can't remember if I used to do this before I went to sleep at night or when I woke up in the morning, but it seems like it laid some pretty solid ground-work for my adult years of finding it terribly difficult to get out of bed in the morning.  Just five more minutes in my bunny hole...
I have since passed this game onto my kids.  When they want to get into bed to snuggle with me, I tell them about the bunny hole and how we can go under the covers and practice our hopping.  Superman has readily taken to this game, as it's right up his alley pretending to be an animal.  But Bear, who is quite literal, is absolutely cracking me up.  At first he's afraid of getting in the bed with us, because who knows what those wily rabbits are up to.  Days pass and he gathers enough courage to climb up into bed and the hilarity ensues.  "Mama, mama, whaiw the bunny?  Whaiw the bunny at? Can I see him?  Does he bite me?  Can I pet him?  Does he bite me?  I scawey mama, I scawey." 

He is convinced we keep live rabbits in our bed, which may or may not want to bite.  Scary indeed.
When he finally did work up the nerve to check out our bunny hole, complete with going under the covers, he got scared half way down to the foot of the bed and hung a sharp right, careening straight off and onto the floor.  He wasn't hurt, so no harm done in laughing for 10 minutes, right?

Most recently he decided to arm himself a little better and came thoroughly prepared.  With Ramen.  For the bunnies.  Perhaps the thought process went a little like this: I know there are live bunnies in mama's bed.  I am unsure if these bunnies ever get fed, so they may try and eat me.  I do not want this to happen, so I will bring bunny food.  Ramen, it is.   
This child cracks me up daily.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment