Tuesday, May 7, 2013

We learned English, so why wouldn't we make up new words?

No one can understand my kids, which is a problem with many roots.   Superman loves making up words; here's a sampling. 

Cyper- vacuuming up leaves and dirt
Hickyball- what you yell when you are really, really excited, like when you are swinging really high.
Humpty Lumpty- when something falls down.  As in, "my sandwich is humpty lumpty." This probably evolved from Humpty Dumpty.
Galawin - this one has a changing meaning.  I haven't totally mastered how to use this it in conversation yet. 

Do you know who Bear loves to imitate more than anyone?  Yep, his older brother who is just a Frindle-type of kid, meaning Bear will never be understood by any of his Sunday school teachers when he asks for a Hickyball (Please push me on a swing?).

Oh, and Bear can't remember the word "peppermint".  He's always asking for cucumbers. 

I'm sure they will have out-grown of this or at least be using different made up words in 2 months, and these are the type of things I hope I never forget. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment