Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Tales from 30: A $10 Ticket and a Priceless Babe

I'm feeling pretty grown-up these days, which doesn't even have anything to do with the major milestone birthday I just breezed past. 

Nope, my buddy from days long has a tiny baby boy.  I don't think it's totally rational, but I can trace the steps of my thinking.  Somehow her journey into motherhood makes me feel like a bona fide grown up. 

Tracing the Steps #1.  My family moved around a lot growing up, so I consider my college friends to be my oldest buddies ever.  People who continue to get together with High School friends, or (even crazier) grade school friends make me stop and marvel. 

Tracing the Steps #2.  If the friend that you loosely associate with your youth is now a parent, this pretty much means you are probably old too.  Because how can you reckon memories of that very friend trying to light farts on fire with the current image of a tender-hearted mom, content to spend her days doing nothing but stare at the babe in her arms?  See what I mean?  We've clearly grown up.  (As an aside:  We never did have any success in lighting a fart on fire.  I think this was mostly due to lack of technique and/or experience, not lack of gas.) (Another aside:  Have I just lost what I consider to be one of my oldest friendships by telling the internet that story?  Possibly.)

Jon, who will be forever referred to as the wizard, found me a 10 dollar plane ticket so that I got to spend my big 30th birthday weekend with that very pal and two other college buddies.  Or if you think like me, two more of my oldest and dearest friends.  And we had fun in roughly the same fashion as we did in college.  We kind of did nothing, and it was pretty awesome.       

It was a great trip, but I did miss my big guy and my boys.  I shared a bed with Kristen and one night in a sleep induced haze I glanced at her, assumed she was my kid and started talking to her.  She kind of sat up and responded with a perky "what?" and I immediately realized my mistake, was mortified, and pretended to be sleeping.  But that is just the mark of a good pal and a deep friendship; no weirdness the next morning, just laughter.   

We are also an interesting group of conversationalists (says I).  With an adoptive mom (me), a social worker who regularly deals with adoption (Kristen), an individual who has 3 internationally adopted siblings from two different countries (Leah), and a public school teacher in diverse South Carolina (Jessie) we had all sorts of different viewpoints to contribute when talking about race.  Throw in our four very different geographical locations and you've got yourself a topic to last for a long weekend.  Race, movies (including but not limited to sharing favorites on YouTube), trivia, and Syria were all discussed at length.  You know, the stuff grown-ups would talk about.  ;)

Some pictures of the fun:
Jessie and Silas ready to make foot print history. 

 
 Shhhhh!  Artists at work!
 

Not a fan. 

Cuteness!  Kristen and Silas meet and bond for life.  (Not a crazy Twilight reference...)

Leah is clearly pulling away from me in this picture, but I will still choose to love her.  Forever. 

A happy mama. 

Jon is the best.  Look at my surprise! 

Spinach artichoke dip and Martinis.  Living the dream.

My thirtieth birthday!

A sweet family of three. 
 (And by the way Daron, because you married into this craziness you are now also one of my oldest friends.  Deal?)

Watching Jim Gaffigan.  Silas is clearly cracking up in this picture. 


Sushi!
 
 
Let's plan another weekend rendezvous, but next time I'm bringing three more!
 

2 comments:

  1. This makes me smile. And miss all 4 of you. Please share tricks to finding such cheap plane tickets!

    ReplyDelete