Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Seth

It doesn't seem like Seth has gotten much room on the blog lately, so I thought I'd post some happenings from him. 

He recently told me he wants to be like Yoda; serious, sometimes silly, and good.  I told him that description really was a good fit for him already. 

Seth's outfit of choice for school picture day.  I told the boys that we don't buy the spring pictures because we buy them in the fall.  This must have gone right in one ear and out the other for Seth, because he ran back home ten minutes after he left and burst through the front door saying, "Mom! We forgot the money and order for pictures today!" 



 
A story he recently wrote that was going to be the entertainment section of the newspaper he was going to begin making/distributing/and of course asking to be paid for.
 
The Inventors First Idea  by Seth Motsinger
There was an inventor named Tom.  He had an idea.  "What?? That was not a good idea!"  He thought for a minute, "nope."  Again he thought, "again, nope."  Finally he had an idea.  There was some steps.  But guess what he made..... a Time Machine!  and Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, is awesome! 
(The last page with all the Toms is where the story bursts into song.  Just FYI. )
 
 
All cozied up at the drive in to see the new Lego Batman movie. 
 
Seth still really would like to be an inventor.  He is a challenging kiddo, because he is (currently) about 95% unrealistic, but hates, HATES to pretend.  Trust me, it can be a hard combo.
 
So everyday we have these conversations:
 
Seth: Mom!/Ollie!/Dad!  I'm going to make a jet pack!/swimming pool!/iphone!/tree house
 
Me: Ok, that's great/Awesome!/Sure! Go get started! (My polite way of saying get out of my hair and go do something.)
 
Ollie: uggggg!  Seth!  You always say that everyday!/It's not going to work!/No I don't want to help!
 
Jon:  Cool!/Don't hammer into the pecan tree.
 
Then Seth goes about working on whatever he has told us about with copious amounts of tape or nails.  Then he declares something along the lines of, "Well, at least I tried!/I didn't actually want to do that anyway./Let's see.... I think I have a better idea."
 
If you go into the backyard and pretend to swim in the new pool or fly around using your new jet pack, this pretty much enrages him, so we've learned that pretending is just a big no. 
 
Hard at work with tools.
 
An invention Seth wanted Ollie and I to decorate.  What is it you ask?  Seth: "This is the can do anything invention!!!  It turns counter clockwise and can be.... stairs for a doll...."
 
And there ya have it!  Seth, age 8, full of ideas, wishing everyday he was boss of the world, or at the very least a grown up with a phone.
 
Oh, that reminds me of one more story... recently we were with an Ethiopian family and they have two kids the same age as Seth and Ollie.  They were asking what Seth wanted to be when he grew up and they were very impressed with inventor (Both the mom and dad hold advanced degrees.)  Then the mom asked what Ollie wanted to be and they howled with outrage when I said taxi driver.  Hahaha, I assured them we were trying to talk him out of it.  And I will say, Ollie has changed his mind! He now wants to work at the local snow cone shop!  Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment