Sunday, September 9, 2012

A little of this, a little of that

This post going to be full of all kinds of randomness. (In case you couldn't tell by the title.)

Boom.  Just like that, I'm 29.  Did I tell you that my sweet husband planned a surprise party for me?  I had no idea, despite chiding him when we went out to dinner, "Why are you on your phone so much?  Are you planning my surprise party?"

I later asked him if he planned it before or after I cried one night about how there are 4 birthdays in our house, and one person plans for 3 of them, and no one really plans for the 4th person.  I know, woe is me.  He gets credit for: "it crossed my mind before that night". 

Anyway, now I am grown up.  Like, for reals grown up.  I drive a mini-van, people.  And am fast approaching 30. 

Late August bdays.  Ain't nothin better.
 
Not my finest hour, but a great celebration all the same.  Let's move on. 
 
 
I like to think I am above advertising and commercials.  Can anyone else out there relate with me on that?  Sometimes I feel so mighty by avoiding the sin of coveting, that I slip right on into pride.  This of course is not true, though, as I often feel like I am the only person on the planet who doesn't have an iphone.  Ridiculous, right?  Anyway, I wished I had one the other day so I could have some pictures to document our recent park story.  I could always attempt to draw them, crappypictures style, but that's not going to happen either. 
 
SuperMan, Bear, and I walked to the park last Monday, and oh happy day, the sprinklers were on!  This of course is enormously entertaining for all of us, and soon the boys are pretty wet.  SuperMan was drawn to a puddle, one foot by one and a half, which was there because that particular sprinkler is broken.  Water is just pooling up in the puddle before pouring down to the pond, 4 yards away.   
 
SuperMan starts asking if he can jump in it.  I say no, because we don't know how deep it is.  While those words are barely out of my mouth, Bear moves like a speeding rocket right toward the puddle and steps directly in.  His eyes are as big as baseballs as he falls right in with the water up to his chin.  I kid you not.  He is standing straight up and has fallen into a hole the exact size of him.  I am surprised, find it amusing (because it didn't go over his head after all), and pull him out.  Bear immediately says, "again! again!" trying to get back in.  

 Later, Jon comes home from work and Bear tells him, "I tim! Bubble!" Translation:  I swim!  Puddle!

SuperMan, however, is deeply disturbed.  No one has told him that the world will try to swallow you.  We talk about it for hours.  We talk about it for days, going back to check for a week straight.  We find long sticks, so we can poke at it when we go back to check on it.  According to our stick calculations, had Bear stepped a little to the left, the water would have been up to his forehead.
 
I feel like I should be able to wrap up this story with a profound life lesson or something, but really I just want to remember a hilarious morning.     
 
Now time for some pictues.  Here's one of SuperMan.  Should the caption be about the last swim of the season or about another stylin' Saturday?  You decide. 
 
Here's some of us going to celebrate good ol' Buddy Holly's birthday.  Someday I would love to get an awesome picture of my kids on these glasses, but SuperMan told me it was too sunny to open his eyes, so that day will have to wait. 

SuperMan: "My favorite!  There's my favorite mama!"

Crafts at the Buddy Holly Center
 
And finally, my boys.  Who are over their beds, but are best friends when it comes to sleeping on their bellies.

 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had some fun on your b-day. Anytime you feel old, just think about how I am older and don't feel bad:) I don't drive a minivan though--it's a station wagon. I don't have an iphone either--nor any smarty phone. I wish you had pictures too of him in the puddle, having a hard time completely picturing it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you had puddle pics, too! Also glad you had a great day. Yes, 30 looms ever nearer. And, like Amy, I don't have an iphone (or even a smarty phone :). Love your pics and tales, friend!

    ReplyDelete