Sunday, September 16, 2012

Family Day 2012

My Darlings
 





Okay, cute photo montage is over.  Here's the reality, today was not the picturesque day we had imagined.  Parents out there, is that not how all major milestones actually play out?

We've given up on having two little boys sleep in two little beds in one little room.  Last night there was lots of screaming and crying around 3 am.  SuperMan and Bear are found crawling on the floor next to the basket of stuffed animals with Bear laying on SuperMan's back.  

Everyone sleeps in a tiny bit this morning (7:45!!) but then Bear is up and ready to greet the morning.  (Read: loud yelling while running through the living room.)  SuperMan is woken up, is way mad about not enough sleep, and starts kicking a wall.  Then a door.    

You know it's going to be a long day when your husband gets up around 9, and your kids have already cried multiple times and you tell him that we need to go to church at 11, because we need to get out of the house IMMEDIATELY.  We simply cannot wait for the 5:00 tonight.  No, siree.  Someone might be dead by then. 

We saw some good buds at church, who asked what we had planned for today.  I struggled to answer.  While we have been looking forward to this day for forever, we really didn't plan anything.  Obviously, injera is out.  Obviously any park/restaurant/public place is out, given the amount of sleep-deprived crankiness that is our day.  I lamely mention something about stopping for doughnuts.  She whips out a doughnut coupon and hands it over in a flash.  Our day begins to take shape!  Plans!  Church and doughnuts.  Sounds like a win, win. 

Church is good.  I pick up SuperMan from his class, who is sitting under a table head-butting a yelling kid.  We stop and pick up our dozen krispy kremes and head home.  Doughnuts for lunch, Bear to his new bedroom for nap, and SuperMan to his room for some rest time.  I'll take the mom-of-the-year award now for my creative lunch menus. 

Around 3:00, we get a do-over.  Everyone emerges from their designated nap spot rested with sunny dispositions (that might be a stretch, but compared to the morning, our afternoon seems dripping with optimism).

We play on the swingset and get the grill ready for burgers.  I begin tearing up talking to those two wiley devils that I am pushing on the swings.  We are a family on good days and bad.  When I want to pull out my hair and when my kids are so cute and clever it stuns me. 

Living the dream, I tell you. 

 

1 comment:

  1. :) Sounds like a fitting Family Day celebration. Family is raw and real, and I am so thankful that after months of working so hard at making those little guys feel secure and loved that they feel welcome to be little turkeys. ;)

    ReplyDelete