Monday, September 17, 2012

One Year: Re-cap

This was going to be my attempt at transparent honesty.  But then I stopped working on it after Jen Hatmaker's post.  As I have previously said, she got in my and head and told my story.  And I am thankful for it. 

In a nutshell, here are some sample conversations Jon and I had over the past year regarding our thoughts and the emotional process of our growing family.

From home to 2 ½ months:  "Kids! Can you believe it! This is great!  We need to have more!  Immediately!" 

2 ½ to 3 months home: "Yeah, maybe we should wait to have more kids."

3 to 4 months home: "Everyone cries a lot.  All day.  Do you think the crying and tantrums are getting better? Let’s start keeping daily tallies and then we will know in a couple of weeks if things are improving."

 5 to 6 months home: "The crying did get better!  Now we can even pee or shower in peace!  Can you believe everyone is sleeping in their own bedrooms?  Can you believe we are going to church together?  This feels like a date!"

6 to 7 months home:  "Does that look like ring worm to you?  Here we go again.  Is this the fifth or sixth time he's had that?  Where did that medicine go?"

7 to 9 months home:  "Do you think I should go back to work?  I miss the outside world.  Yeah, I guess I do miss my job the most during the summer months… "

9 to 12 months:  "Did you see what that mom did when her kid did that?  Maybe we should try that.  We're learning!  Can you believe how well the kids did at that restaurant?  I was really impressed."


I don’t think I actually started to process the huge transition that our family went through until we were home 8 or 9 months. And this process had the mood swings of a crazy woman.  Seriously people.  A crazy woman.
 
Jon reminded me of a quote he had read, “Never compare your beginning to someone else’s middle.” Although my kids are "big", we were/are rookies with an insanely steep learning curve.  That reminder helps take the edge off. 

Thanks to those of you who supported us and prayed for us during this unbelievable year.  Thanks to those of you who were gluttons for punishment and continued to invite us over, or better yet, invite us out in public. Thanks to those who supported from afar by sending encouraging emails and letting me vent for hours on the phone.  Thanks for your love, we are a better family because of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment