Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Swim Lessons

 
I am so proud.  We have not only survived two days of swim lessons, but we have thrived.  Seeing how far Superman has come, not only in facing his fear of water, but in all areas of life made me get misty-eyed a few times on day one. 
 
Here is but a small sampling of things you don't take for granted when you have a kid with a complex background.
*My child with a sensory processing disorder just stuck his whole face in the water to blow bubbles! 
*When the swim teacher asked the group what they learned, my child voluntarily answered!  
*Superman was right in the middle of the pack.  He was not the most timid or fearful child there, nor was he the most loud and hyper.  I am happy to report he was 100% appropriate.  And even better, had tons of fun.
*Thanks be to God.  I really can't even describe the pride and the bursting of my heart feeling.  We had OT today and it was such a victory telling his therapist about the experience and all of the ways OT has helped him.  Answered prayer, my friends.    
 


 
"I wanna swim.  I wanna swim like Seshie does it."
"Can I get in da shima poo pwease?"

When the "big" kids were done I let Bear get in the water, for it is hard to be 2 and be too young for swim lessons.  He was not wearing his floaties like we had for the entire previous week in San Antonio and was on his belly at the bottom of a two-foot pool in 1.5 seconds.   Note my drowning child in the picture below.   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment