Monday, December 2, 2019

Thankful

I just started reading There There by Tommy Orange, which makes me want to boycott Thanksgiving when I think/read about the atrocities committed against American indigenous people groups.

Thanksgiving and being grateful can be a year round concept, of course. Sooooo.... maybe March 17th is a great date for the next time I cook a turkey and celebrate my thankfulness that didn't include a massacre? 

I digress. This here 'ol blog is just about posting pictures, after all.

We started the week off with the flu! Eewww! Saturday morning Ollie said he wasn't feeling great, but I didn't think too much of it as we all have had major allergy attacks/drainage/sore throats. I gave him an ibuprofen and figured problem solved. Around 8am I was headed to Target and both Seth and Ollie wanted to tag along. About five items into the cart, I looked over at Ollie and saw he was crying. He said, "I told you I didn't feel good!" We stepped into the self-check out lane when he told me he was going to throw up. Noooooooooo!!! I quick grabbed a bag, which he definitely used. Poor bud. We then went home, fever was 103, and Ollie laid down and slept for much of the day. He was down and out.

Ollie didn't move much for four-ish days. Nolan caught it as well, but didn't get hit as hard and was only sick for 30ish hours.  

The boys and I made this awesome fort in the basement and Ollie said, "this is why I love life. This is so awesome." I figured hanging out in a fort would be a good activity for a sickie and I think I was right.  

The next day Nolan elected to nap in the basement fort and I knew he must be sick as well. Voluntarily napping? Nah. Not this kid.

By Wednesday morning, they were doing much better. Seth and I took advantage of Jon being home and went to see Frozen 2.  

We also hit up the Cheesecake Factory and did a little shopping at the mall.
Lights!!!!!!

Thanksgiving morning everyone was back to normal and my sous chefs were ready to whip up a feast. Prep on our apple cranberry pie included an apple peeler, a slicer, and... well, an eater.



Potato prep, peeling sweet potatoes, and washing up those dishes.


Next up, crescent rolls!


Enjoying our feast later with some friends. Crazy side note, Nahom (who is Ollie's age) had his appendix out approximately 48 hours after this picture was taken. I guess all told, I would rather be hit with the flu over a break than an appendicitis. He is recovering nicely, though!

The next day the elves and reindeer got to decorating.  

Shortly after the above selfie, one of the Elves stole the phone to keep the s"elf"ies coming. 




Lots of football was also watched on Friday. 

By Saturday I was so very stir-crazy from staying home with sick kids, then home for Thanksgiving. Johanna and I went shopping at some book stores and went to the movies to see Knives Out, which I would highly recommend. No fun background props at the theater for me to pretend to stab Johanna with, so Olaf will have to do.  

Man. I just proof-read this post. We started with indignation about the atrocities against man, moved on to puking in Target, followed by feasting with a weak-appendixed kiddo, to a murder mystery movie and an Olaf selfie. I commend you if you are still reading. In fact, if you are still reading, I am thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment